Information Collection and Use
Our primary goals in collecting personally identifiable information are to provide you with the product and services made available through the Service, to communicate with you, and to manage your registered user account, if you have one.
Information we collect. We may collect the following categories of personal information about you through the Site, including but not limited to:
- Registration information: When you register for a Service, you will be asked for basic registration information, such as an email address and password.
- Identification information: You may also be asked to provide identification information to confirm your identity, including your first and last name, username, address, and phone number.
- Third party credentials: You may also enter in certain passwords, usernames, account numbers, and other account information for third party sites and Internet services (“Third Party Sites”).
- Information from Third Party Sites: In order to display information to you through the Service, we may collect, on your behalf, your account and other personal information from Third Party Sites that you register under your account via the Service. For example, if you register your account with us, we will aggregate your information via our Site in order to present it to you. If you choose to access brokerage services through our Service, we may store a representation of your account information including but not limited to account holdings and transaction histories from your account.
- Technical and navigational information: We collect information about your interaction with our Site such as computer browser type, pages visited, average time spent on our Site, IP address, unique identifier of the device, operating system version and app version.
- Location information: If you choose to use a location enabled Service, we may collect location information from your device and will notify you of this collection. You may control or disable the sharing of location information via your device setting and/or the Site.
- Other information: We may request or receive other personal information such as feedback, questions, comments, suggestions, or ideas to provide you with other benefits or to improve upon the Service. In such instances, you will be given the opportunity to provide or decline that information.
Use of Contact Information. In addition, we may use your contact information to market to you, and provide you with information about, our products and services, including but not limited to our Service. If you decide at any time that you no longer wish to receive such information or communications from us, please follow the unsubscribe instructions provided in any of the communications.
Information Sharing and Disclosure
Service Providers. We engage certain trusted third parties to perform functions and provide services to us, including, without limitation, hosting and maintenance. We will share your personally identifiable information with these third parties, but only to the extent necessary to perform these functions and provide such services, and only pursuant to binding contractual obligations requiring such third parties to maintain the privacy and security of your data. In addition, we may use information you provide about Third Party Sites to provide the Service, which may include accessing the Third Party Sites you select on your behalf, so that we can present the requested information to you. With respect to mobile applications or mobile versions of our Sites, we may collect the unique device identifier assigned to that device by phone makers, carriers, or makers of the operating system (the “Device ID”). Device IDs allow app developers, advertisers, and others to uniquely identify your device for purposes of storing application preferences and other data.
We may use your Device ID for security purposes. For example, if you have activated a feature that limits access to a Service from a specific device, our systems will access the Device ID from each device you attempt to access the Service with to determine if the device is the specific authorized device. Additionally, we may use Device IDs to monitor suspicious activity. For example, if we detect that a single account on a Site is being accessed from multiple devices, as determined by tracking the Device IDs that access an account, we may contact the user to ensure that such access has been authorized by the user.
Compliance with Laws and Law Enforcement.Civil Law Dictionary cooperates with government and law enforcement officials or private parties to enforce and comply with the law. We may disclose any information about you to government or law enforcement officials or private parties as we, in our sole discretion, believe necessary or appropriate to respond to claims, legal process (including subpoenas), to protect the property and rights of Civil Law Dictionary or a third party, the safety of the public or any person, to prevent or stop any illegal, unethical, or legally actionable activity, or to comply with the law.
Business Transfers.Civil Law Dictionary may sell, transfer or otherwise share some or all of its assets, including your personally identifiable information, in connection with a merger, acquisition, reorganization or sale of assets or in the event of bankruptcy.
Personal Information. We will not, without your permission, sell, publish, or share your personal information to third parties for their marketing purposes.
In connection with third party services, we may share some of your personal information with the third parties when you are attempting to process the transaction you have requested.
We may share your personal information with third party service providers to enable them to assist in fulfilling the requests you make or the transactions you conduct via the Sites, including the operation of certain Site functions and Services. Third parties acting on our behalf that are given access to your personal information are contractually obligated to abide by our privacy practices and are not allowed to use the information for any other purposes.
We reserve the right, in our sole discretion, to share or disclose your personal information with law enforcement, government officials, and other third parties:
- to respond to subpoenas, court orders, or legal process;
- in order to investigate, prevent, defend against, or take other action regarding violations of our Terms of Service, illegal activities, suspected fraud, or situations involving potential threats to the legal rights or physical safety of any person or the security of our network, Sites or Services;
- to respond to claims that any posting or other content violates the rights of third parties;
- in an emergency, to protect the health and safety of our Sites’ users or the general public; or
- as otherwise required by any applicable law.
We may share your personal information with other third parties with your consent or instructions to do so.
Third Party Data Collection
Civil Law Dictionary is very concerned about safeguarding the confidentiality of your personally identifiable information. We employ administrative, physical and electronic measures designed to protect your information from unauthorized access.
We will make any legally-required disclosures of any breach of the security, confidentiality, or integrity of your unencrypted electronically stored personal data to you via email or conspicuous posting on this Site in the most expedient time possible and without unreasonable delay, consistent with (i) the legitimate needs of law enforcement or (ii) any measures necessary to determine the scope of the breach and restore the reasonable integrity of the data system.
Links to Other Websites
Our Site contains links to other websites. The fact that we link to a website is not an endorsement, authorization or representation of our affiliation with that third party. We do not exercise control over third party websites. These other websites may place their own cookies or other files on your computer, collect data or solicit personally identifiable information from you. Other sites follow different rules regarding the use or disclosure of the personally identifiable information you submit to them. We encourage you to read the privacy policies or statements of the other websites you visit.
Our Policy Towards Children
The Site is not directed to persons under 18. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with personally identifiable information without their consent, he or she should contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under 18. If we become aware that a child under 18 has provided us with personal identifiable Information, we will delete such information from our files.